DARIAH-EU Is Recruiting a Secretary General, Based in Berlin
Position Start: from 1st May, 2018
[Position advertised on Friday, 2nd March 2018]
DARIAH-EU Secretary General
Until August, 2019 (initially, with possibility of extension)
Base of Work:
Centre Marc Bloch, Berlin
Board of Directors, DARIAH-EU
Friday 4th April, 5PM CET
TV-L 14 (level 2 = 4.251,22 per month € gross, level 3 = 4.496,33 per month € gross)
The DARIAH-EU Secretary General
will ensure the efficient and effective operation of the DARIAH-EU Coordination Office offering high-quality support to the DARIAH-EU Boards and Members, Observers and Cooperating Partners.
This position will be based in the Centre Marc Bloch, a Franco-German research institute for the social sciences and humanities), based in the Mitte district of Berlin. More information about the Centre can be found at: cmb.hu-berlin.de/en/the-center/.
- Maintain oversight, management and coordination of the staff and work of the distributed DARIAH Coordination Office (with offices in Paris, Dublin, and The Hague), at the service of the DARIAH constituent bodies (Board of Directors, Senior Management Team, National Coordinators Committee, Joint Research Committee, General Assembly, Scientific Advisory Board)
- Take organisational responsibility for the timely and effective liaison with all statutory bodies, including the General Assembly, Scientific Advisory Board and SMT, including organisation of meetings, agenda creation and circulation, follow up on actions and minutes
- Maintain and ensure compliance with of the DARIAH statutes and Internal Rules of Procedure and Policies across the organisation, adapting them as needed.
- Work closely with the Board of Directors and Senior Management Team to ensure delivery of the strategic mission of the organisation
- Oversee the preparation and management of third party funding applications, in particular where DARIAH is the Coordinator, collaborating with the DARIAH Project Officer at application stage and management oversight/organisational embedding of funded projects
- Moderate and support the discussion between - among others - EU project partners, representatives of National Ministries, funding agencies and external partners
- Act as a first point of contact for the Members, Observers and Cooperating Partners of the DARIAH-ERIC ensuring effective communication throughout the DARIAH-EU organisational structure.
- Lead and delegate overall management tasks, including monitoring, reporting, risk management, etc., including oversight of the production and timely delivery of Annual Reports
Applicants for this position are required to:
- Have at least 5 years experience managing distributed teams and information flows in a complex organisation;
- Have experience with conforming to the deadlines and requirements of statutory bodies, and of financial oversight of an organisation with an annual budget in excess of €500K per annum;
- Be able to evidence fluency with the European policy landscape with relation to research and research infrastructures;
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills, with the proven capacity and confidence to represent your organisation at a senior level;
- Be organized, conscientious and resourceful;
- Have a passion for and/or background in the arts and humanities
Applicants for this position are desired to:
- Have functional fluency in a second European language
- Hold an advanced degree in a humanities subject
- Have some familiarity with digital research methods
DARIAH is a pan-European infrastructure for arts and humanities scholars working with computational methods. It supports digital research as well as the teaching of digital research methods.
DARIAH is a network. It connects several hundreds of scholars and dozens of research facilities in currently 17 European countries, the DARIAH member countries. In addition DARIAH has several cooperating partner institutions in countries not that are not full members of DARIAH, and strong ties to many research projects across Europe. DARIAH helps provide digital tools and share data as well as facilitate knowledge exchange. DARIAH Projects and Members organize learning opportunities for digital research methods, like workshops and summer schools, and offer training materials for Digital Humanities.
The DARIAH community also works together in working groups, with subjects ranging from the assessment of digital tools to the development of standards and the long term accessibility of research materials. Their activities may vary but they all share one common goal: Providing services to scholars in the arts and humanities and therefore helping to do research at its best.
For more information, see www.dariah.eu
The Selection Process
Applications will be acknowledged by email. If you do not have confirmation of receipt within 3 working day of submitting your application online, please get in touch with us immediately.
Interviews for this position will be held on 16 and 17th April 2018. Interviewees will be notified of outcomes in writing no later than 5 working days following the interview day.
In some instances the Selection Committee may use telephone or video conferencing for interviews.
DARIAH-EU is an equal opportunity employer. As we promote the professional equality of women, women are particularly encouraged to apply for the job. Registered disabled applicants with equivalent aptitude will be employed preferentially.
Candidates are asked to submit a covering letter together with a full CV to include the names and contact details of 3 referees (with email addresses if possible) to:
Laurent Romary, President, DARIAH Board of Directors