DARIAH - EU Is Offering a Position for an Outreach and Communication Officer Based in Dublin
Position Start: May 1, 2018
Post Title: DARIAH Outreach and Communications Officer
Post Status: 16 month contract (initially, with possible prolongation)
School/Institute: Trinity Long Room Hub
Reports to: Secretary General, DARIAH - EU
Closing Date: 19 March, 2018
Salary Range: € 31,502 - € 36,488 per annum (IUA Research Assistant Point 14 - Research Fellow Point 1), depending on experience and qualifications
DARIAH-EU is Europe’s digital research infrastructure for the arts and humanities. As the organisation enters its second decade of development, we are recruiting a new outreach and engagement officer, to be based in Dublin, Ireland. This key member of the DARIAH Coordination Office team will be responsible for ensuring that DARIAH's users and other stakeholders are aware of DARIAH's activities, networks and services to the community, and are able to engage with us to advance their research.
What we expect:
- Development and agreement of a communications, dissemination, exploitation and outreach strategy for the organisation, in cooperation with the DARIAH Board of Directors and Senior Management Team. This should include not only the refinement of key messages, and instruments, but also incorporate DARIAH signature programmes (such as its open Theme Calls and funding of its working groups) and measures for addressing the needs of key audiences, especially early career, women and unaffiliated researchers in the Humanities.
- Implementation of the resulting strategy, eg. via website maintenance, social media presence; newsletter; press kit, brochures, reports and strategy papers, flyers; coverage of specialist events, congresses, infographics etc..
- Support for the further development of the DARIAH brand in close cooperation with the DARIAH Coordination Office (DCO) and our Working Groups (corporate design, website, outreach), including dealing with queries and helping to develop a ‘tone of voice’ for the organisation.
- Mapping and active development (eg. through representation at meetings) of research, science and community networks at EU level in as many scientific communities as are relevant (primarily from the humanities, social sciences and the arts) as well as among key institutional partners, such as other ERICs, Universities, Commission bodies, learned societies, cultural heritage institutions, et. al.
- To manage relations with the press and broadcast media to ensure that DARIAH’s voice has sufficient and regular expression and to help build up a cohort of ‘DARIAH Experts’ who would be available for interview on our behalf.
- Manage the development (from writing to layout and print production) of the Annual Report and other key documents, such as posters and flyers, in a professional and timely manner
- Assist as a member of the DCO team with the planning and delivery of major public events, and at other times as may be required.
Applicants for this position are required to:
- Have excellent oral and written communication communications skills, with the proven capacity and confidence to deliver a robust outreach programme;
- Have experience in a dissemination, communications or outreach role;
- Be proficient with website management (in particular within WordPress), databases, social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Linked In), and other communications technologies;
- Understand how to communicate research results to the academic and general public;
- Be organized, conscientious and resourceful;
- Be able to operate flexibly as a member of the multidisciplinary DARIAH project team;
- Have a passion for and background in the arts and humanities
Applicants for this position are desired to:
- Be familiar with European-level research culture in the humanities and the European Commission
- Have functional fluency in a second European language
- Hold an advanced degree in a humanities subject
- Have some familiarity with digital research methods
DARIAH is a pan-European infrastructure for arts and humanities scholars working with computational methods. It supports digital research as well as the teaching of digital research methods.
DARIAH is a network. It connects several hundreds of scholars and dozens of research facilities in currently 17 european countries, the DARIAH member countries. In addition DARIAH has several cooperating partner institutions in countries not being a member of DARIAH, and strong ties to many research projects across Europe. People in DARIAH provide digital tools and share data as well as know-how. They organize learning opportunities for digital research methods, like workshops and summer schools, and offer training materials for Digital Humanities.
The DARIAH community also works together in working groups, with subjects ranging from the assessment of digital tools to the development of standards and the long term accessibility of research materials. Their activities may vary but they all share one common goal: Providing services to scholars in the arts and humanities and therefore helping to do research at its best.
The DARIAH Outreach Officer will be a member of the DARIAH Coordination Office (DCO) team. The DCO is a 11-member distributed team based across the DARIAH offices in Berlin, Goettingen, Paris, the Hague and Dublin. The team meets weekly in a virtual space, and collaborates via a number of channels to deliver on teh overall DARIAH programme of work.
The DARIAH Outreach Office will be based in the Trinity Long Room Hub, Trinity College Dublin’s Research Institute for the arts and humanities, and make its home in the Hub’s signature facility on historic Fellow’s Square. For more information about the Long Room Hub, see www.tcd.ie/longroomhub
Trinity College Dublin
Founded in 1592, Trinity College Dublin is the oldest university in Ireland and one of the older universities of Western Europe. On today’s campus, state-of-the-art libraries, laboratories and IT facilities, stand alongside historic buildings on a city-centre 47-acre campus.
Trinity College Dublin offers a unique educational experience across a range of disciplines in the arts, humanities, engineering, science, human, social and health sciences. As Ireland’s premier university, the pursuit of excellence through research and scholarship is at the heart of a Trinity education. TCD has an outstanding record of publications in high-impact journals, and a track record in winning research funding which is among the best in the country.
The Library of Trinity College is the largest research library in Ireland and is an invaluable resource to scholars. In addition to purchases and donations accrued over four centuries, the College has had 200 years of legal deposit. By this right Trinity can claim a copy of every book published in Ireland the UK. The Library contains 4.25 million volumes, 30,000 current serial titles as well as an extensive collection of manuscripts, the most famous being the Book of Kells.
The Selection Process
Applications will be acknowledged by email. If you do not have confirmation of receipt within 3 working days of submitting your application online, please get in touch with us immediately and prior to the closing date/time.
Interviews for this position will be held in the week of 9 April 2018. Interviewees will be notified of outcomes in writing no later than 5 working days following the selection day.
In some instances the Selection Committee may avail of telephone or video conferencing for interviews.
Equal Opportunities Policy
Trinity College Dublin is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to the employment policies, procedures and practices which do not discriminate on grounds such as gender, marital status, family status, age, disability, race, religious belief, sexual orientation or membership of the travelling community.
Candidates are asked to submit a covering letter together with a full CV to include the names and contact details of 3 referees (email addresses if possible) to:
Anne Gresillon and Marco Raciti, DARIAH DCO
Informal enquiries about the position may be directed to:
Dr Jennifer Edmond, email@example.com